Undeniably, Viagra is a go-to drug when you need an effective solution for erectile dysfunction. There are certain benefits to using exactly Sildenafil Citrate (the main component of Viagra). The compound works in nearly 95% of men with 80% of all patients reporting significant improvements to the condition and complete satisfaction with the medication.
Sildenafil Citrate information on medical sites:
This drug is supposed to be used as a when-needed solution meaning that you should take the medication when you are planning to engage in sexual activities beforehand. In order to plan your schedule properly, knowing how long it takes the drug to kick in is extremely important. This knowledge this determine how the medication will affect your quality of life. There are multiple factors that influence how quick Sildenafil Citrate starts to work. We will try to discuss all of them. However, we need to learn more about its pharmacological effect to know why the drug is the best choice in certain situations.
How Does Sildenafil Citrate Work?
Sildenafil relates to the group of medications called PDE5 inhibitors. It was initially discovered in early 1990s, but was introduced to the market much later. This compound was supposed to be a new revolutionary solution for heart diseases and arterial hypertension. People with angina, high systolic pressure, and those with hypertension were the core audience at first until the drug demonstrated a particularly interesting adverse effect – it caused erection. The direction of clinic trials changed overnight as American company realized that the drug could become a true revolution and it did in 1998.
Sildenafil just like any other PDE5 inhibitor acts as a protector of cGMP molecules which are attacked and disassembled by phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) leading to problems with smooth muscles that control blood veins and prevent the free flow of blood especially in cavernous tissues in the penis. Sildenafil acts as a vasodilator and allows muscles to relax and expand blood vessels for easier blood flow towards penile tissues. When these tissues soak in blood, you achieve erection. So the physiological mechanism is quite simple.
While there are other similar drugs, Sildenafil is often the best choice for people who are able to plan their sexual activities ahead. Any generic Viagra contains up to 90% of Sildenafil and supportive compounds meaning that they all act similarly. The main ingredient is adsorbed quickly and enters the liver eventually starting its slow metabolic degradation in the organism. Due to its metabolic route, the adsorption is reduced when you take it with foods containing a lot of fats. On the other hand, the physiological effect will be prolonged due to eating fatty foods just due to slower metabolism albeit the effect will be less distinct.
One of the best things about Sildenafil is its half-life period being one of the shortest amongst all PDE5 inhibitors meaning that there will be no unwanted accumulation in the body and that the drug is less stable chemically and thus starts adsorption quicker compared to other drugs. One of direct competitors Cialis/Tadalafil may kick in a whole hour later compared to generic Viagra.
Now, when you know how the drug behaves inside you, we will focus our attention on which factors may significantly change the timings and affect your planning. If you are interested in techniques that will help you to prolong the action and/or make the drug work faster, please refer to the article about generic Viagra from our friends at My Canadian Pharmacy Mall http://www.mycanadianpharmacymall.com/what-to-do-to-make-generic-viagra-work-faster.html.
Dietary Concerns and Possible Interactions with Food
Generic Viagra works best on empty stomach and you will be always advised to use it without food or only with a light meal. This is mostly due to the fact that the drug will be adsorbed slower in presence of any fats as it is metabolically processed in liver alongside fats. This means that in order to not slow down the effect of the drug, you must adjust your dietary preferences or at least eat only veggies, green leaves, fruits, and lean meats together with the drug.
While all these foods do not inhibit the adsorption process, there are possible food interactions that you must be aware of in order to plan your evening correctly.
- Do not use grapefruits in any form. This can be said about any citrus but grapefruit’s effect is the most notable. Grapefruit may significantly slow down Sildenafil Citrate in your body and even completely negate its potential. Do not consume it in any form.
- Avoid oils and natural fats. Some people do not know that oils and nuts also contain a lot of fats and thus eat salads dressed with “dietary” olive oil. Nuts and seeds also contain a lot of oils meaning that you will also consume fats with them.
- Do not include dairy products in your dinner. These products also contain high amounts of fats and some of them are omega-6 acids and complex lipids meaning that they will affect the adsorption rate of generic Viagra even more than lean meats (less than 15% fats) and oils.
- Stay away from alcohol. This is a very important advice as alcohol acts as minor vasodilator on its own and combined with Viagra may cause a life-threateningly low level of blood pressure. You can drink a glass of wine or a small can of beer during the evening, but do not drink more.
As recommended by specialists and experienced users, generic Viagra should be used on empty stomach or only with a very light meal containing fiber, dietary carbs, and proteins. It is a good idea to eat after the intercourse and avoid alcohol for at least 4-5 hours after the intake of the drug. If you ate fats, wait for 6-8 hours before drinking alcohol.
Adsorption Rate and How It Can Be Affected
You must be aware by now that the speed with which generic Viagra starts working depends mostly on the adsorption rate and there are factors that may affect this process.
- The form factor. Lately, there have been an influx of powdered Viagra in the market and soluble pills that are supposed to be dissolved in mouth under the tongue. While these forms became popular due to a common belief that in such forms Sildenafil starts working faster, it is mostly a myth. Generics of Viagra come in a form of a pill with a protective layer that is immediately destroyed in presence of liquids and acids meaning that it will free the insides within seconds after entering the stomach. Breaking the pill in halves will improve the speed of action but by a tiny margin.
- The temperature of the environment. Generic Viagra is slightly affected by the temperature of the environment and will be adsorbed faster if the stomach is hotter. Thus drinking hot water will notably increase the speed with which the drug is delivered to smooth muscles. Note that the body temperature is more than enough to optimize the adsorption and overly hot water may yield negative effects. Consider using slightly warm water instead.
- Sildenafil Citrate’s stability. The drug is stable when protected from the external environment and oxidation. This means that too much acids will likely negatively affect the stability of the drug. Frankly, required levels of acid will be impossible to achieve in a relatively healthy body. On the other hand, the drug should not be stored without its package. It is also not recommended to split pills for further usage. Broken pills will not last for long.
Various foods and health conditions may significantly affect the adsorption of the medication. All general rules can be applied to generic Viagra when it comes to taking pills for efficient results. Avoid eating too much food and do not take the drug with other Rx medications.
Should You Try to Accelerate the Effect?
Sildenafil Citrate is one of the fastest ED drugs in the market. We do not recommend you trying various techniques of accelerating its mechanism. The drug will start working within 15-60 minutes after the intake depending on the conditions of the intake. For example, with a slightly warm water and no food, the drug will start working very quickly. In presence of fats and with cold water, the drug may take up to 1 hour to start working.
Other factors may affect these timings. For example, anxiety and the lack of genital stimulation can significantly delay the erection and even negate it. Remember that generic Viagra is a drug that will help only men with physiological problems and will not work in cases with sexual dysfunctions caused by mental issues.